Wednesday, May 28, 2008

all for a doughnut


Last night had me rolling in bed till five in the mornin', imagining how a piece of doughnut dipped in dark, luscious, super thick chocolate would taste like on my fluffed tongue that hadn't felt food in the last 10 hours....obviously, i had to sleep without having one, but not without making a mental note to treat myself to one, the first oppurtunity i got.
The workshop trainer hasnt yet been able to manage material for the job. Hence, all we do there is talk, make fun of Mini, loll our tongues out in the summer heat, and fight for who gets to sit in front of the cooler, which anyways spells super-dry air. Right after the workshop today, I asked Vidur and Prateek for company, the closest I was to having a doughnut was getting one from this local bakery shop "Swiss-Pie" , a lane across the campus. Prateek had a gym to attend to, Vidur "wasn't hungry" , and I was cross having to entertain such lame excuses. I didn't ask Mini...having spent a year in this college I know better than tha' . I headed to the bakery alone...got a croissant, and a doughnut and a "my-can", and was half-way through the croissant when similar faces walked in, hand in hand, pretty smiles on their faces, and strangely intimidating. It was a couple from the first year, one of the very few PEC can ever boast of. I dont know the guy much, though I'm aquaintances with the girl, who noticed me the second she walked in, did an awkward smile, which I conveniently avoided :) . I don't remember the last time I felt this awkward + embarassed, coz a) the joint had only the three of us as it's present customers :O b) obviously, I felt like I was intruding in their private moment (yes, I AM this thoughtful :P ) c) no matter how hard I try, can't deny how much of a loser I felt like , sitting there, all alone, crashing on unheathy food. The guy part of the couple made way to place the order, while I tried to catch her eye in the meantime, in an attempt to acknowedge her presence and not be rude, something I'm quite unpopular for. And our eyes met..and for some reason, instead of a gentle wave, a nod, or a smile, I raised the can in the exact similar way one raises a toast and winked at her. She, totally nonplussed, did another faint smile,like normal individuals would in such situations, and turned about. I turned around as well, only to catch her guy staring hard at me, his hands pressing hard against his wallet...I dropped the doughnut, untouched, mouthed an "excuse-me" to him, in the deepest voice I could manage that moment, and rushed outta the joint. It was just another bad experience in an otherwise decent joint...., and I still havnt had my bite of a doughnut, yet :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home