Friday, May 22, 2009

the other half.

I've always been fascinated with the title Sex and the City, thought it's always been so much more out there and right in the face than the regular shows, though I never got to see any of the episodes when it aired, given the last season concluded when I was still in 10th. Last year, the movie extension of the entire series, which opened to major panning by the critics though also to outrageous market results, was transfered in a DVD format into my laptop by a dear friend. After almost years of hoping to catch the series I was majorly disappointed, it turned out to be nothing more than weird mangy female erotica, with full monty scenes by other men, and nothing at all for the male audiences. One of the many things that really let me down.
No chick flick, as a rule, can round up without atleast one brilliant dialogue that gets me into that looking-at-the-bigger-picture mode. The movie concludes with one of the women, (Samantha, and I do take extreme shame in still being able to recall the name) turning fifty, where all the ladies go for a dinner, raise a toast, and say "To the next fifty", and I was almost taken off-guard at this totally bizarre perspective. People do make it to 100, they sure do, and for them 50 is actually halfway through, so that's only half as much experiences and no reason to sulk over time lost than to look forward to the other half.
Today I met Gurtej Singh Saini, my best friend of the last one decade, give or take a few months, after one complete year and at cafe' coffee day, 35, for twenty minutes exact. He passed on a mechanical in PEC for an electronics in BITS GOA,and we havn't really been in contact since but it always feels great meeting someone I've had the best experiences of my life with. Only this time, we were accompanied by two other groups of acquaintances/friends/or somewhere between to me, whom we ran into within five minutes of our arrival. Had the most fulfilling conversation with him, short though, but extremely warm. Apparently he's doing great there, in GOA, frequents Mumbai often, and will be leaving for Pilani on a training program tomorrow. I lied to him about my life being as great as his if not more since I wasn't aiming to garner any sympathy or sound much like a loser, but I did realise one of the major reasons behind the quandaries and regular anxiety attacks I do suffer. I apparently, am a free bird with an insatiable appetite for adventures and experiences with new people and places and I've not been granted a quarter of what could get me on my four and purr. I've just been too tamed for a normal existence and apparently not much can be done about it. Gurtej shall MS as a plan after two years, and since I have finally come clean with the MBA plan, we anyways didn't have much to talk. We meet tomorrow again for a movie, and then until the next 12 months perhaps.
Guneet, called for the first time in this year for a heart to heart conversation. Wasn't exactly a "to-catch-up" call as much as a farewell call. She leaves for New York city today, already has to be more precise, post which she goes to San Francisco Houston, Singapore, and then New York again, this being her training program :|
That one fourty five minutes call got me happy like nothing has in the longest time, we talked about the regular, movies music and shit, and if Backstreet Boys really should have had changed their style in music. It clearly is not called growing up. The only best part about the conversation was where she confessed on how freaked out she got on her 20th birthday, shut the blinds of her room and sulked for a week. This is one piece of conversation that only Guneet Sandhu can afford, and I've always adored this sillyness :)
PEC for me, and strangely from the very beginning has been a two year plan, where I do everything outrageous I could in the first two years of my life, and to think of it I did, I had my hair red, got thrown out of a restaurant once, spent two nights in a row in an another city having lied to my parents, almost tattoed myself, fought and got back with almost everyone, had one big major confrontation with one of the professors, did a little newsletter stint, watched porn in a group of five at tops volume and in a workshop :S , pretty much had a good time., only that I hoped I could have had more of these experiences now that the two fun years of this life come to a close.
Today, as I Thamman and Sohal got ourselves three wobbly plastic chairs at the Verka booth, and three cold drinks on the go, Thamman raised one of them, and said "To the next two years" :) , and given that he never does such stuff and also coz of the sudden rush of deja vu, I felt this sudden warmth fill in me. We might have a sixth months training program coming up soon and also entrances and placements that'll rob us of all time we could have enjoyed the most brilliant camaraderie in, still no reason not to looking forward to the other half that stays there. It'll only be easier and less awkward now that we all have grown on each other, better and a more honest feeling than women claiming how good and comfortable they feel in their own skin post 30. We only are halfway there, and there's just no reason to sulk already, :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home